Friday, March 1, 2013

On the Death of Noble Rat



Some would say you were only a rat
Vermin, source of disease and destroyer of property
I was content to let you live because you offered no insult
You committed no crimes against me

I denied you your sources of food
I hoped you would just leave
But you were cunning and still you thrived
I admired you and your perseverance

You began to destroy wires and chew through things
Much as I might, if left to starve
You fought to live
You fought to survive

In my anger, I set plan in motion
I would be avenged for having to repair that which you had broken
I laid trap, and bait and I would wait
And in my snare you would fall

My "genius" bore fruit
You did succumb
And as you lay helpless
My hammer fell ending your spark

I name myself villain
My new name fiend
But how to make recompense
How to cleanse my sin

I will honor you, adversary
I will fast and pray
That your small soul will find home
That your journey will begin anew

As for me there is no pride
I will not be hypocrite adding to my crime
I will simply say this chapter is done
And move on and hope to do better than before

I name you Noble Rat

No comments: