Saturday, August 7, 2010

LET ME DEFINE










You offer your opinions
You may even lend a hand
You can choose to walk away
Or simply understand

That when it comes to me
My path, my course, my dreams
For good or ill the choice is mine
I’ll deal with its extremes

I have to do the driving
Along the narrow slope
I have to make my choices
Embrace them and then cope

I do not wish you hardship
In fact I wish you well
That we could live in harmony
I know in time we will

You offer your opinions
Now I shall offer mine
When it comes to my life
I say let me define
 
 
It seems today we have an over abundance of people who need to direct traffic.  It is well that we have opinions and that we try to educate each other in morality and ethics.  It is good that we be accountable for the repercussions of our actions.  But we should not presume to hold ultimate authority on how people live their lives.  It is not just an issue of tolerance because that presumes too much; it is simple respect for the rights of the individual. 

1 comment:

Megan said...

Let Me Define is my favorite so far!!! Eloquently written!

Your poetry is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you were multi-faceted and talented but I had no idea to the degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)